The exact date of the establishment of Rauna Congregation School is unknown, however, it is known that, before 1693, there had been a school in Rauna, which was situated next to the church. During the Great Northern War (1700 – 1721) it was destroyed twice, together with the church. In 1722, a new Rauna Congregation School building with three rooms for 50 pupils was built not far from the church. In 1805, the owner of Rauna Manor Estate, a banker from Riga, B. K. Kleins, opened Rauna Manor Estate School in Baižkalns Parish house building. Until 1814, two schools co-existed in Rauna. They were later merged to establish one school – Rauna Congregation School. The school was good, it was well recognised in a wide vicinity and prepared young scriveners, teachers, organ players, social workers, etc.
In 1850, the old building of Rauna Congregation School burnt down completely, together with school equipment and valuable church items, which were stored at school after a robbery at the church, which occurred in 1836. In 1852, a new two storied school building was built in accordance with the design of the owner of Rauna Manor Estate von Wulf, and, having experienced several reconstructions, this building can be seen to date. At around 1874, the school started to admit girls.
In the 19th century several notable people, who had a significant role in the life of Latvia studied at Rauna Congregation School: Jānis Cimze (1814 – 1881); Kārlis Krēsliņš (1860 – 1929); Pēteris Šmits (1869 – 1938); Jūlijs Auškāps (1884 – 1942); Kārlis Ducmanis (1881 – 1943); Pēteris Zālīte (1864 – 1939); Jānis Lapiņš (1885 – 1941) and others.